Friday, August 11, 2006

Conversion of Interstates to toll roads in Louisiana?

Tolls on I-10, I-12?

State floated idea; senators oppose it


8/11/06

Hector San Miguel
American Press
Copyright 2006

U.S. Sen. David Vitter wants Gov. Kathleen Blanco to withdraw a state proposal put forth earlier this year to collect tolls along Interstates 10 and 12.

"I couldn't believe what I heard was right," Vitter told the American Press on Thursday.
The state Department of Transportation and Development earlier this year filed a nonbinding "expression of interest" with the Federal Highway Administration about charging tolls on the two highways.

Blanco's office referred all questions Thursday to the DOTD, whose secretary, John Bradberry, said there is no such plan in the works. He accused Vitter of "causing Louisiana citizens to be misled."

"It is regrettable that Senator Vitter chose to distort the facts regarding this matter," Bradberry said.

In a March 7 letter to the Federal Highway Administration, Bradberry wrote, "Our proposal is for converting the I-10/I-12 corridor in Louisiana to a toll facility."

Local officials contacted by the American Press on Thursday said they had not heard of the toll-collection idea. They included Calcasieu Parish Administrator Mark McMurry, Lake Charles Mayor Randy Roach, state Sen. Willie Mount, and visitors bureau chief Shelley Johnson.

U.S. Rep. Charles Boustany, R-La., who represents Southwest Louisiana in Congress, said he had no comment.

Vitter, R-La., said, "I talked to the Federal Highway Administration and demanded that they give me something on paper about this." He obtained Bradberry's letter.

U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., said Thursday that "putting tolls on the interstates does not appear to be a wise step. I am opposed to this proposal."

Bradberry issued a two-page statement Thursday in response to Vitter.

"Governor Blanco has not instructed me to toll I-10 and I-12. DOTD has not proposed tolls on I-10 or I-12, and DOTD has not submitted formal application to place tolls on I-10 or I-12," he said.

"In our quest to explore alternatives to higher gasoline taxes for transportation funding, I explored options available in the Bush Administration's Highway Bill that enjoyed the support of Senator Vitter."

Bradberry said he met with Vitter on June 8 in Washington to talk about the tolling program "as a financing option."

"Sen. Vitter thanked me and offered to intercede on our behalf with the Federal Highway Administration on anything we need," Bradberry said.

Bradberry, in his March 7 letter to Wayne Berman of the Federal Highway Administration, wrote, "As you know, the southern portion of Louisiana was recently devastated by two hurricanes. We believe this project is essential to the economic recovery of the state and to better prepare for future events."

Bradberry did not suggest in his letter the amount of the toll or where collection points might be set up.

He said in his statement Thursday that the federal highway bill contained only $2 million for widening I-10 and no money for I-12 despite the roads' being "the heaviest traveled roadways in Louisiana."

"Since 2004, I have consistently told citizens and community groups, political and civic leaders and the media that Louisiana faces tough choices ... and we can no longer look solely at gasoline taxes as a way to fix our roads," he said.

"The consistent feedback I have received is that Louisiana should explore all alternatives to gasoline taxes."

Bradberry said his department is meeting with "legislators, citizens and the media to share information about our infrastructure and the challenges and opportunities that are before us."
"At the end of the day, citizens of Louisiana expect their governmental leaders — both elected and appointed — to study alternatives to higher taxes before dismissing them out of hand," he said.

The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century allows states to collect tolls on interstate highways. There are more than 5,000 miles of federal toll roads, bridges and tunnels in operation nationwide.

The entire print edition is available online daily through the American Press ePaper, just $10 per month, or $3.50 monthly if you already subscribe to the print edition.


© 2006 American Press: www.americanpress.com

pigicon